Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So...1poorkid is 16 now. Has her learner's permit, and is making progress (still has to work on her right pull-in parking, does fine with left pull-in). So I'm looking for a used car. My first car was a used car purchased from a dealer, and my mom handled most of that (it turned out well, but she really was flying on instinct with that one). This is my first time trying it.

She says she wants a TDI. Better mileage, less maintenance. Makes sense to me.

I find a nice one on craigslist. The seller is upfront that it's a salvage, but the only accident mentioned was a rear-ender (which could total an older car without really doing much damage). I get the VIN and buy the report for the car. It was in TWO accidents. The first one it was less than a month old, and that's when it was totaled and salvaged. Must have been a hum-dinger of an accident to total a new car.

Since it was salvaged it has had over 50K miles put on it (not bad for an '06), so it clearly is running. Second accident in 2009 appears to have been minor (not salvaged from that one).

I'm debating just walking away, or giving the seller the opportunity to drop their price to reflect the salvage from the first accident. They have it $2000 below Edmunds, but I'm told it should be at least 50% of Edmunds due to the accident.

Maybe I should nuke our vacation next year and go to a dealer...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.