Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I know zip about SPACs. They just look dangerous from the outside looking in. I get the money can be flowing. I wonder if this is like the IPO market drying up when there is a down turn? I do not know. But am equating it to the BuzzFeed result here.

NYT Snippet:

BuzzFeed is off to a rocky start on the road to becoming a public company. Shareholders yesterday voted on its deal with a special purpose acquisition company, or SPAC, as BuzzFeed News union employees staged a daylong strike over contract negotiations. The merger was approved, but the company said it raised only $16 million from the deal, far less than the over $250 million it had hoped for.

SPACs have a money-back guarantee: Because investors do not know what company a SPAC plans to acquire, they have the opportunity to redeem their shares at the I.P.O. price before a merger is official. When a SPAC’s shares trade below this price, as has been the case with BuzzFeed’s merger partner, these redemptions can be significant, leaving a company with less money than expected when it agreed to a deal. This highlights a major challenge for companies engaging in SPAC deals, making this popular route to market less attractive.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.