Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Juice For Viacom's Laggard Shares?
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_16/b3879102_mz016.htm

Merrill Lynch & Co. analyst Jessica Reif Cohen wrote in an Apr. 2 report that Viacom's first-quarter report will "mark an inflection point for the company's businesses and investor sentiment." Cohen is projecting a 12-month share-price target of $53.

Still, Viacom's dependence on advertising for the bulk of its revenues makes some investors skittish. Gordon Crawford of Capital Research & Management slashed his position in Viacom by tens of millions of shares recently, telling Redstone he didn't believe in the "ad recovery," the chairman recalls. But Redstone is confident Crawford will be back after he sees Viacom's latest performance. Karmazin is set to meet with the media investor in May.

For Henry Ellenbogen, an analyst at Viacom shareholder T. Rowe Price, "those things didn't move the needle one way or another." Both investors believe the company's trouble spots -- Infinity and Paramount -- will show better results in 2004. Add in strong performances at CBS and Viacom's bevy of cable channels, including MTV, Nickelodeon, and Comedy Central, and the stock should get a boost, they say.

Of course, beyond the numbers, another overhang on Viacom shares is the frequent reports of infighting between Karmazin and Redstone. Karmazin says the perceptions frustrate him. "I want to be at Viacom," he says. "Sumner is about to turn 81, and I know he's not going to change. And that's fine. The company has done pretty darn good under him. Is there anything that has surprised me from when I came four years ago until now? Zero."

Karmazin's big hope for the rest of the year is that investors pay less attention to what he sees as the peripherals at Viacom and more on the essentials -- like generating lots of free cash flow.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.