No. of Recommendations: 0
By adding popular and innovative open source projects to their platforms, public cloud provider lower the technical barriers for enterprises to adopt new technologies. But unless there is a viable way to fund innovative open source companies, public cloud companies like AWS will eventually kill off open source innovation.

Exactly. It is said that the Constitution is not a suicide pact when the Constitution is raised in times of war. Lincoln used this in spades in the Civil War. Open source has to come to grips with whether or not they want open source to remain a viable business mechanism or simply a more economical source of pooled resources for giant companies who no longer need to compete with innovative smaller open source companies.

In reality MongoDb has no choice, and if the open source community wants open source to remain so pure that it leads to its inevitable death...well so be it. MongoDB will go its own way then because it has to, and so will any future successful open source company.

https://www.computerweekly.com/blog/Cliff-Sarans-Enterprise-...

But enough, it is a pet peeve to me when I can clearly see what is really going on. It is an act of destroying future innovators and disguising it as a moral act of supporting open-source.

In any event, as an investing issue, I would prefer to see Mongo experience a true FUD event as AYX did. This seems to be a more crucial issue than what AYX faced with Tableau as well.

But off to other things to obsess over. MongoDB may very well be forced to go its own way and given that there is no true substitute for MongoDB at this time, it may very well be time they did so anyways with their new license.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.