No. of Recommendations: 10
By contrast however there is a well funded, nationwide government program to squeeze men for child support.

SP, I just think you don't care to get it. The UIFSA was not established to squeeze men for child support. It was established to provide a structure and mechanism to force PARENTS to be financially responsible for their offspring, something I'd think you would favor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Interstate_Family_Suppo...

...The act addresses non-payment of child support obligations and limits the jurisdiction that could properly establish and modify child support orders. It has been adopted by every U.S. state....

...Whenever more than one state is involved in the establishing, enforcing or modifying a child or spousal support order, the Act is implemented to determine the jurisdiction and power of the courts in the different states. The Act also establishes which state's law will be applied in proceedings under the Act, an important factor as support laws vary greatly among the states.

It clarifies which state's laws apply, which is exceedingly helpful in interstate cases such as when one parent moves away from the children or never lived in the same state. It helps states work together to establish paternity, legitimate the child, set support orders and enforce those orders. This can work for or against the custodial parent. As an example, my son's father lives in WV; the amount of support set there is much lower than in my home state so in this instance, UIFSA works against me as his state will set the support order.

Each parent has an obligation to their child, whether they want it or not. If a person doesn't want to pay child support or rear a child, s/he ought not risk creating a child. If s/he does create a child, then there is a financial and moral obligation to that child to provide him or her with adequate food, clothing and shelter.

Additionally while many child support orders might seem overly generous to you, many are wickedly parsimonious. I know of custodial parents who have been ordered support at the rate of $20/month. That doesn't cover shoes, let alone daycare, food, or housing for that child. So the custodial parent bears essentially the entire financial burden because the noncustodial parent found a way to scam the system. The noncustodial parent still has visitation rights even though they're not supporting their child.

Some parents take lower paying jobs or refuse to work altogether simply because they don't want their money going to support the other parent. As a single parent, I can tell you that every bit of the support I receive PLUS my own money is used to support my child. EVERY BIT PLUS. Children aren't cheap and yet, some people would like to think that the custodial parent should take on the entire burden themselves. It doesn't work that way.

Lastly, AGAIN, both parents have an obligation to co-parent the child(ren). It is woefully easy for noncustodial parents to walk away from their children and just never call or see them. Who does that hurt? THE CHILD. If an NCP is truly worried about their child and what is best for him/her, then s/he is best served by being an active parent in that child's life.

Minxie
Minxie
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.