Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
By describing one camp as pro-legal abortion, I am not implying that they are in favor of the activity. My attitude toward many activities is quite negative but at the same time is "pro-legal" in keeping with a libertarian philosophy. You could also use the term "anti-illegal" but this is potentially confusing do to the use of two negatives.

I know you didn't mean to imply that, but I want libertarian's who WANT TO PASS A LAW to feel the burden is on them to justify it, and the libertarian who doesn't want the law passed need argue only "I don't think so." Unless the people who want to pass the law make a compelling case, the law should not be passed.

So the two "groups" of people in my opinion are really only one group.

The one group: pro-criminalization-of-abortion.
The other group: whatever.

You should not label people who don't want a bunch of useless and harmful laws passed as "pro" or "anti" any of the particulars in those laws.

I don't want milk subisies passed. I am not anti milk. I like milk.

I don't want anal sex banned. I am not pro anal sex.

I don't want imports tariffed. I am neither pro imports or anti domestic manufacturing. I have a chevy made in Texas.

I don't want drug use criminalized. I am not pro drugs. I would use only 3 or 4 drugs I don't currently used if they were legal :)

I don't want flag burning banned. I am not anti flag. I fly one most days.

R:

Every time you say "I'm a libertarian, but we really ought to have a law that ..." remember that what follows as a justification should be about 3 sigma better in quality than the current standards for getting a law passed.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.