No. of Recommendations: 1
By happenstance I was just copying a 7.7GB file from a hard disk to a USB3 flash drive, so I timed the tranfer.
7.7GB in ~7 minutes. Doing the math, it would take a tad over 15 hours to transfer 1TB.

Copying the same file across a 1GB network to another computer, gives a time on 20.25 hours to transfer 1TB,

For backing up my critical data, I have it all in one directory tree and use rsync to copy it to another computer on the network. To a RAID5 filesystem, so as to avoid a disk going bad.

------------
Carbonite? Great, yeah. Copy only files that have changed. Yeah. Rsync does that, too. Nothing magic there. It's when you upload new file(s) that the slow transfer rate hits you. That, and when/if the company goes bankrupt.

------------
You don't think the IRS backs up their computers?

Of course they do. Businesses do. Individuals mostly don't. To do serious backup, you use something like RAID-5 or Raid-6, or some other multiple-copy redundant media. Every TB of your data takes 3 or 4 times that much media space for the redundancy. Which means 3 or 4 times the cost.

I run ZFS on my own primary & secondary backup systems. The zfs mailing list I follow, people talk about 100's of tera-byte of data. A thing that I find grimly amusing: people talk about replacing a failed disk in a mirror and the disks & filesystems are so large that while the re-silver (read: rebuild the swapped-in disk) is taking place, it takes so long that sometimes another disk will fail before the re-silver is finished.

-------------
You know why people's computers get large and larger disks (in addition to saving movies, etc.)? Because you've got so many files that it takes too long to go through them and decide what you can delete. It's literally cheaper to throw another 4TB disk in than to spend the time & effort to delete old stuff.

-------------
I've mostly gone to the dark side and have things in the cloud.

My wife found out about "the cloud" the hard way. She has a kindle, a fire, and one other thing I don't know the name of. Reads books, listens to audio books, etc. on them. Before we left on a looong cruise, she checked to make sure everything worked. Then when we got on the ship and out of sight of land, she discovered that the bulk of everything was in the cloud.....which meant that none of it was accessible on the ship.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.