Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
By law, the only thing you can put into an IRA is MONEY.
If you already have shares in a traditional IRA that you
would like to transfer to a Roth, they go in as of their
value on the date you make the conversion, and that's the
price on which you pay taxes.
See preceding threads about very special circumstances in which
you might be able to deduct losses in a Roth. The Roth
is intended to be a long term investment and hopefully you
choose well enough that the value of the account at retirement
time won't be less than its cost.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.