Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
By no means am I trying to be ugly here, but it just bothers me when I see people asking for advice on how to get their finances in check and what to do with their savings, and they are given a link to a purchase course. These people are trying hard to do with what they have. I believe there is enough free advice on this, and other, web sites to avoid them paying for a course. I didn't expect to see this sort of behavior on Fool.com.

Dear slimflem,

While I understand your dismay, it is also a recognition that the Motley Fool is not a philanthropic, not-for-profit business. Like the kind of companies in which you choose to invest, we work under a similar set of economic realities. Without revenue, the Motley Fool will cease to exist.

Yes, we do have plenty of free advice, but we have also developed outstanding 'for pay' products that help individuals take control of their own money. As employees of the Fool, it is our job, and our responsibility, to let people know about them. But we would never suggest a product if we didn't believe in it ourselves. We are proud of our offerings, and we think they provide an incredible value for those who wish to invest the time and money in them. So I don't look upon our suggestions as spam, but rather as offering all the appropriate Fool tools to customers.

I hope you will look at Tony's reply in this light.

Foolishly yours,

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen
Community Fool

Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.