Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife's father set up a trust at the time of his death in the '70's and the bank trustee bought stocks over the years. When my wife's mom passed away in 2007, the stocks were divided among her brothers and sisters. If my wife sells a stock, does she use the cost basis the Trust had when they acquired the stock or a stepped-up basis at her mom's date of death?
I came across an old post that indicates my wife's basis is the same as the Trust, and just wanted to check with others:
"If the trust was established by her father and are not included in the mother's estate, then the assets come up at whatever basis the trust has in them."
Thanks for any guidance.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.