Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
By the time Doug Short arrived at IBM I had been gone for 18 years. Besides, I was working in Venezuela and had almost no contact with the USA. There was a time I was mad as hell at IBM, specially when I got sued for lack of payment of some dictating equipment that I clearly told the IBM sales rep we did not want -- but my partner signed the order! :( I never bought any IBM equipment since then. I've been an Apple customer/re-seller/developer for over 30 years.

But the culture inside IBM when I was there was great. Ginni's story reminds me of it. One day my boss calls me to his office and asks me if I know the IBM 046 (the paper tape to punch card converter). I reply: "No." To which he says.

Boss: "There is a customer coming in tomorrow with an 046 problem. Help him out."

Me: "But I don't know the 046!"

Boss: "That's your problem."

I scramble to find a manual and someone who knows. The problem is solved. Fast forward about 25 years. I meet a fellow in Miami while negotiating a job contract. On hearing my name he asks me if by any chance I wasn't the fellow who solved their paper tape to card problem years earlier. ;)

Just get it done!

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.