Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
By the time my sister found me I had fallen into, if you will be charitable, disrepair. The old lady had been dead for years, and the old man had finally kicked off, and I had the house to myself and my demons.

With all that past finally gone, seeing Sis was like a kick in the nuts, but after that initial moment of "what the hell are we supposed to say to each other" the awkwardness was gone.

"We have to visit Nana," Sis told me.

"Nana? Who the fug is Nana?" I replied.

"You remember, from your dreams, before things got bad, there was Nana. She was there for us, and we have to pay our respects." said Sis.

Too far gone to care (what does it matter she's my kid sister, and I have a case of Negro Modelo at hand), I agreed to visit "Nana." So long as I get to bring my case of Negro along, I was game for anything.

Sis took us under the overpass, and when we emerged I was lost (not at all unusual, which is why I don't have a driver's license). This world seemed new to me, full of trees that reached to the skies and a dense forest that left me no option but to continue on the trail (though as I went I dropped empty bottles of Modelo, and the world became increasingly liquid, as did my bladder).

"Sorry Sis, I have to stop for a minute"

"Hurry up, Nana is waiting!"

Another leg on the road, another bottle of Modelo tossed on the wayside.

After walking for God knows how long, and after drinking God knows how many bottles of Modelo, we arrived at a house in the woods. What Nana had in mind when she built this house in the woods, I didn't know. There is a lot about my family that I don't know.

It was a strange little house, looking at it I couldn't figure out how she could possibly have a bathroom. There was room in there to sleep, and maybe a small kitchen, but indoor plumbing was clearly not in the picture.

"C'mon" said Sis, "Nana is waiting!"

At this point I was pretty spooked, and I saw no upside to visiting Nana.

"You go on ahead," I told Sis. "But be careful."

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.