No. of Recommendations: 2
By the way, I'm running Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 18.1. IMHO it corrects some problems with 18.3 and 19.

Care to elaborate?

The annoyance was the downgrades to Mintinstall. 18.1 has three separate ways of restricting what you see, and they can all be used concurrently - so you can look at only installed packages, in a specific category, that match a keyword somewhere in their name or description. Looking at "installed packages" shows ALL installed packages.

18.3 has three separate ways of restricting what you can see, and they do NOT work concurrently, you can only pick one of them. And the "installed packages" does not show packages that are included in the default installation. It's been long enough that I forget just what of its downgrades got fixed in 19, but it wasn't the whole collection.

The killer was trying to get VirtualBox working. It broke the OS under 19.

BTW, any suggestions on Linux partitions? I let the Mint installer have its way with the EXT4.

My partitions - note that I do Windows only inside VirtualBox, so there are no Windows partitions.

1) EFI partition. How small a partition will your system let you create? My EFI partition is 64MB (note the M, not a G) and less than 9 of it is actually used. It's formatted FAT32 because EFI likes that.
2) / - the Linux system partition. 40GB. Formatted btrfs because Timeshift works more efficiently with that format. Also has compression turned on because why not?
3) /more. The rest of this 120GB SSD. Used for system configuration that I want to survive past a reinstall, for swapfiles (using the "swapspace" package), and for virtual machines. Formatted ext4, because current version of btrfs doesn't like swapfiles and the overhead of copy-on-write would probably drag down the already-unimpressive performance of virtual machines.
4) /home. The other, 240GB SSD. Formatted btrfs with compression turned on.

5) /insignia. An external 500GB hard drive. Formatted btrfs with compression turned on. It's my backup drive. (Why the name? Because it's printed on the case.)
6) /toshiba. Another external 500GB drive. Formatted ext3. Not used much at present. (Named for the same reason.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.