Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
By virtue of your passion and willingness to spend so much time writing about this book you people almost have me convinced that I am missing something by not being an HP fan!

The discussion you are having is the very reason I love, love, love my book group. The more people you can discuss a book with the more you get out of it. I'd sort of rather see this book group discussing something more substantive but then again, the world is too much with most of us so maybe full escape into Hogwarts is not a bad thing. Haven't done it so I don't know.

Patzer, this caught my eye

Anyway, the reason I think Hermione's attitude towards the elves is bad writing isn't because she thinks they deserve freedom and I think they don't want it. I think it's bad writing because Hermione is shown in every other respect to be highly intelligent and a thorough researcher of subjects that catch her interest. But in this single case, her position is a simple minded pushing of a political agenda that isn't being accepted.

This is soooo typical of radical teens. The most intelligent, intellectually driven radical teen can become the worst knee-jerk, bleeding heart, bull-headed politico in a second. Sounds to me like Rowling has figured this out and charactarized it to a "t". :-)

The good news is that that kind of passionate, radical behavior is what drives change. In real life even the worst behavior can have good results (think Vietnam, PETA, the more violent approaches to civil rights, etc.) I'm not totally clear on Hermione and the 'elf thing' but it sounds like it has potential.

P.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.