Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
a minor thing, but after subscribing for - don't know - maybe 30 years, I'm not going to renew my Money magazine subscription coming up in a month or two. Nobody cares but me, but here is why:

*the latest issue was 76 pages. About 10-15 pages of ads is my guess, so very little content
*the articles on average run a page or 2 - this with big print, this with many pictures, this with almost no content
*it seems clear there are few full-time people on staff anymore. Feels like most of these things are for hire stuff, with no original insights or work evident in what they are doing. I don't feel Kiplinger has quite gotten to this point.
*the articles have turned political, often overtly so. The bit about the queer black woman (their words) turned venture capitalist was interesting but irrelevant to my financial situation, esp since this particular issue contains more than one reference to evil white people, particularly white men. Nobody needs to tell me about the power of older white men (hey, I have looked at annual reports and proxy statements for many years), but this is supposed to be a magazine about personal finance and somehow perhaps these folks forgot that. I mean, I'm thrilled if you are interested in the #girlboss and girlboss rally (complete with horoscope readings and lots of merchandise for sale and another reminder of how victimized these folks are who somehow manage to come up several thousands to get motivated by attending a rally), but again it ventures into personal profiles and glamour and fashion vs. actual practical advice, and this is supposed to be a personal finance magazine. If you want one of these articles - fine - but this is the featured content, and I bet Oprah does this better.
*finally, the the real problem, but almost all the practical content is available elsewhere on the internet, esp. things like Fool and bankrate.com. This dinosaur is nearing extinction.

I morn, but I'm not going to give them $1 an issue anymore...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.