Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
cLast year(2000) I had a spike in income due to some large capital gains, so I owe a substantial
amount. However this year(2001) I am going to owe nothing as I will have losses plus we just
purchased a new house so we'll have substantial interest deduction. Now the question, does my
2001 withholding still have to equal my 2000 tax due even though I expect with all the
deductions to owe very little if anything.

No if your withholding is 90% of tyhe total 2001 taxes due, or within $1,000 of it there is no penalty. See Form 2210. ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.