Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Cable will not beat ADSL because of connections to one's television. Cable has many issues to overcome in order to allow multiple homes in subdivisions to get uninterrupted video streaming. ADSL is a DEDICATED data channel; you pay for 1M and you get 1M. Cable is a SHARED data channel; you pay for up to 10M and you get:

1 user - up to 10M
2 users - up to 5M
5 " - up to 2M
10 " - up to 1M
100 " - up to 100k -> not enough for Video streaming

If you have ever been on a LAN with a T1 at work and everyone starts to surf the net at lunchtime, you'll know what I mean about a SHARED data channel. Getting to TMF takes a while.

I'm not saying the infrastructure won't be arranged such that everyone has the potential to get 1M. I am saying that the true problems will become prominent when 50+ users on the same cable span in a subdivision access the net with their cable modems and they all want to watch Baywatch.

Also VoIP is going to be HUGE in about 3-4 years. The telcos are not going to give up that fight easily.

All IHMO.

Z
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.