No. of Recommendations: 2
CABob; writes,

<<<If taxes are paid, the income claimed on a 1040 form can potentially be contributed to an IRA, traditional or roth.

The criteria is: '
is the income taxable?'>>

I don't think this is correct. Income from interest, dividends, and capital gains is certainly taxable, but, is not earned income that can be contributed to an IRA.
I don't know about royalty income, but, I suspect it is not earned income in most cases.


In general, the test is that only income you pay FICA taxes on can be used as an IRA contribution.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.