Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Found this on the web.
Answers a few points raised by nz1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cape Range cag
trading appears to indicate a strong rise should be expected...bounced off a low of 22c which was prompted by the fall on the nasdaq....traders expected it to continue to fall after an open average of 24cents ...they sold lower and were mopped up....toooo cheap...........bounced over 30 to around 31.5 to 32 settled at 30 after some capping off became evident...on close traders moved to mop these up....closing at 30c up 8c off the days low.....easy to see how it can run to 40 on a good day....at present there is very little for sale up to 40c and then only a small amount considering how volatile this one is on a run....
...one has to remember a UK fund recently paid 50c to buy into cag....Cag didnt approach them...they came to cag....obviously they knew a good deal when they saw one.....
ARTICLE
May 2000
Firstly, a WLL FAQ site
http://www.telecomresearch.com/wirelessfaq.html
Secondly, a WLL tutorial (really very good if you have the time... I strongly recommend reading it)
http://www.webproforum.com/wll/index.html)
The key points are:
- WLL will be HUGE. We are just at the beginning...
- There are many other companies who realise this, so there will be competition for Arcadian
- Arcadian are NOT targetting western cities at THIS stage - they are leaving this to competitors such as Breezecom, VisionGlobal,
Lucent Technologies and Alcatel. Instead, they are going for the far larger market of developing nations (see graphs and table - taken
from WLL tutorial)

The demands of WLL are quite different between developed and undeveloped countries. The former requires HIGH bandwidth (for
high speed data transfer that surpasses POTS) and probably MOBILE capacity (ie. wireless Internet access for pocket computers).
In the latter, they just want a plain old telephone service (POTS), that will maybe also give basic internet connectivity (secondary). See
table...

Service Requirements for WLL by Market Segment

Cisco and Motorola are spending US$1billion over the next few years to establish a global, anytime, anyplace WLL (see
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/146/pressroom/1999/feb99/5.html). Remember the ex-CISCO CEO advisor to the board for Arcadian...

Looking at the Arcadian specifications, each base station may cope with 240 simultaneous phone calls providing access to 2500 - 3500
customers. (note they specify "phone calls" NOT data access channels...). The TOTAL baud rate is 2MBaud (for all users) with a 50km
range. There is a tradeoff between range and data rate. Note the mention of a new 11MBaud/20km system. Compare this with Breezecom
(www.breezecom.com) 2MBaud PER SUBSCRIBER and just 10km range. A 50km vs 10 km range means about 25 times more base
stations (50/10 squared) for Breezecom than Arcadian for a given area. This would make the Breezecom network much more costly to
install and maintain..

Cheam Tat Inn has CONFIRMED that iPMA is for FIXED WLL services ONLY. ie. NO ROAMING! ie. UNSUITABLE for mobile phones
and pocket computers...This may seem like a terrible hindrance, but it is not...iPMA takes advantage of the fact that it knows EXACTLY
how many subscribers it is connected to to provide a 5-10 time bandwidth efficiency. The end result of this is that in a fixed network, for
a given per user bandwidth and range, iPMA will allow 5-10 time more subscribers than competing protocols. The only way competitors
using conventional protocols can compete is to DECREASE base station range and INCREASE the number of base stations covering
the region. This is the foundation of Arcadian's cost effectiveness - they will require FAR FEWER base stations covering any particular
region. This means FASTER (and cheaper) installation and LOWER maintenance costs...

The other problem WLL faces in western cities is digital subscriber line (DSL) that runs over POTS. DSL provides between 2-5 MBaud
per subscriber. Sure it only works this well if you are <8km from an exchange, but this is generally true in western cities with high
population density... DSL is slaughtering WLL in the USA (at present - this will change...). WLL must provide additional benefit to be
competitive with DSL in western cities...this is where the ROAMING feature comes in (for mobile phones and pocket computers). As
iPMA does not support mobile access, Arcadian may NEVER target this market, and just leave it to its competitors to squabble over. In
addition, they have stated their FIRST move is into Asia (probably Malaysia, see
http://malaysia.cnet.com/news/2000/02/25/20000225bs.html), so they are surrending first rollout in developed nations to their
competitors. This is very significant... I don't think we'll see Arcadian push into this market... maybe developed rural is possible... BTW,
my tip for first telco to sign up with Arcadian will be Telekom Malaysia Bhd.

Also, Asians would far prefer to deal with an Asian based company than a US one. We all know the US head office is just to provide
international exposure for investors... must be preliminary to NASDAQ listing. The real guts of the company is based in Malaysia and
India.

Looking at their base station specifications again, their initial product is suitable for about 3000 PHONE subscribers in an area of about
3x50x50 = 7500 km squared. ie. just 0.5 subscribers per square kilometer. I think you would agree this is a pretty low density. Of course it
is possible to increase this with their second generation 11MBaud/20km product. A comparison gives 11MBaud/2MBaud x 3000
subscribers / (pi x 20km x 20 km) = 13 subscribers per square kilometer. I really cannot say precisely what other regions these subscriber
densities are suited for, but you can be certain that this range (0.5 - 10 subscribers per square kilometer) is what you would find in their
primary market ie. rural/urban developing nations...

I suspect the rural density in western countries such as Australia and America would be much lower than this. Such countries also
already have POTS pretty much everywhere. So the Arcadian product would not really offer much since phone and modem internet are
already provided. The important thing to remember is that the Arcadian system is comparatively LOW bandwidth and primarily aimed at
supplying basic phone services to developing nations, where computer ownership is also very low. I do not know the figures, but I
would be pretty confident that the majority of subscribers would not own computers in these regions...

Anyway, this is still a HUGE market and Arcadian have a BIG competitive advantage (iPMA giving longer range and lower costs,
ASIAN company). I think CAG directors realise this and want to sell off Paradox etc to get a greater ownership of Arcadian because this
is where the money is. The future of WLL in Australia will be in the cities because of the population distribution...Pulsat are rolling one
out now which will provide reasonably high data rates per subscriber (up to 2MBaud per subscriber and 5km base station range). They
will face steep competition from DSL. The Arcadian product is not suited to this market because of lower data rate and greater range... I
hence think it is very likely CAG will dump Paradox and maybe SATV for greater Arcadian ownership... rights of Arcadian tech in
Australia will probably not amount to much IMHO...

So, that is my understanding of what Arcadian are up to. Cheam Tat Inn has verified my basic line of reasoning (but not my speculation
about CAG/Paradox)... It seems many Australian investors do not understand the topic very well and think that Arcadian will be
everywhere, including Australian cities, including mobile phones...It should also be pointed out that all CAG have done in this
Arcadian stuff is FUND the development of iPMA. Arcadian is NOT an Australian company and the technology is NOT Australian
either... just a very wise investment

So, there it is. I think I am basically correct in all of this... I may be wrong about the long term future of Arcadian... but certainly their
initial focus is as I say (which is what they say anyway in their announcements).
as prepared by an outside source familiar with this technology

Time frames to establish are very quick for WLL. See WLL tutorial. Between 90-120 days.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.