No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi guys, 

I'm new to reading financial statemtements and been having trouble upon trying to get owner's earnings and intrinsic value. Been reading and researching a lot on the subjet but i haven't find a clear answer, so i turn to you guys in hopes of resolving the matter once and for all ;) (although i'm guessing this is probably a life-long art to be constantly improving).

On Owner's Earning calculations I'm not clear with how to treat negative amounts when the formula calls for substracting that amount and also with regards to what should and shouldn't be included in the calculation.

For example i'm using TTM numbers for The Trade Desk (TTD) and change in working capital es -59,950. If i substract this, it turns into a positive. Is this correct or should I treat cashflow numbers as absolute and use the formula's signs (+/-)?

The second doubt i had arose while looking at some examples and articles, since some did include things like: stock based compensation, deferred taxes, other working capital but these were not in the original definition of the formula. To make matter worse, some examples use "net cash provided from operations" numbers to simplify and only substract capex from that.

As for intrinsic value i'm using this formula: intrinsic value = annual owner's earnings / discount rate - growth rate. The problem is that with growth rates above the discount rate (10%) intrinsic value turn negative. What am I missing?

Here are my numbers: 
(I'm using a 9% growth rate since anything equal or above the discount rate messes up the results)

Owner earnings	TTM

Reported Earnings	$96.808

Depreciation, Depletion and Amortization	$18.961
Deferred income taxes	
Stock based compensation	$70.620
Other working capital	
Other non-cash charges	$12.958

Change in working capital	-$59.950

Capital Expenditure	-$35.976

Owner's Earnings	$103.421

Intrinsic Value (10% discount, 9% growth)	$10.342.100

# of Shares	39.830

Intrisic Share Value	$260

Thanks in advance for any tips or help on the matter.

Saludos!!

ML
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.