Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
For retired military members, Which financial calculator do you recommend? All the financial calculators that I have experienced in the past do not have an option to include my military medical benefits and my annuity. So far, I am not impressed with any financial calculators including Schwab, USAA, Motley, Fidelity, etc for retired military....reason: they do not seem to be up to the task I required of them to calculate an accurate retirement outcome for retired military members . Retired military have some very good low deductible, low premium lifetime medical insurance as well as survivor benefit plans. Medical expenses are by far the most costly expense for nearly all retirees. Please advise. Don, USN Retired and getting ready to retire for the last time
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Navyguy, I'm in the same boat as you (No pun intended!). Retired from the Air Force in 99, have Tricare, have the dental, do vision under my wife's retirement, have a VA disability waiver, and an early retirement from my second career after 11 years. I maxed my TSP during those 11 years, and started the "after 50 catch-up" when I turned 51 (last kid was still in college). I was planning to take my social security early (until I read something here on Motley Fool, now to recal), but hoping not to have to touch the TSP until 70. I'm pretty sure that my number crunching prior to retirement at 56 was all good, but I try to refigure every year, just to make sure. You mention a bunch of different calculators you've tried, and for now, I think you're on the right track - you need to use what's out there now, until somebody comes up with a one-stop-shop for us military types. It's a matter of now blending the answers you get, and checking them twice...
Retirement calculators are notoriously flawed and inflexible. Not sure if this will help with specific military concerns, but the best retirement planner I've found is The Complete Retirement Planner. You can enter specific income streams by year, as well as adjust itemized expenses over time (since they will change over time). It allows for plenty of other adjustments as well, and accounts for taxes on income and withdrawals from retirement savings, which most other planners don't help with. It does cost $49, but it seems to be more thorough than others, and provides year by year results. The site explains what it does in detail, so you can at least check it out to decide if it will work for you before having to purchase. Just google the name with no spaces to find it (not sure if I should post a link, don't want this to seem like spam). Hope this helps.
I retired USAF 1998. I then worked to get my FFL and worked in that second career until 2014 and retired.

There is professional FP software that will include the unique nature of our medical coverage up through Medicare. Unfortunately, this is much too expensive for the average person. Trust me, you're not going to find this "for free" on retail web sites.

The only way you're going to include the financial effect of Tricare/TFL is either hiring a Financial planner or building an Excel Spreadsheet.

BruceM
I retired USAF 1998. I then worked to get my CFP and worked in that second career until 2014 and retired.

There is professional FP software that will include the unique nature of our medical coverage up through Medicare. Unfortunately, this is much too expensive for the average person. Trust me, you're not going to find this "for free" on retail web sites.

The only way you're going to include the financial effect of Tricare/TFL is either hiring a Financial planner or building an Excel Spreadsheet.

BruceM