Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Is this right? Does my client really owe California AMT?

Basic info is that the client is a college student age 20 and an non-resident of California. She is claimed as a dependent by her parent in Oregon. She earned about $5500 in 2012 - $4500 in California and $1000 in Oregon. These aren't exact numbers, just rounded off. Her 540NR shows her taxable California income as $1300 and tax of $13 and a credit of $13 for taxes paid on that income in Oregon. Then she ends up with a AMT tax of $320. This seems really odd to me, and I am probably missing something in my data entry, but I'm not sure what. Can any of the California experts help me out here?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Something's not right there. I haven't seen a client affected by CA AMT in probably the last decade.

Offhand, I'd take a close look at the Schedule P. Read through the lines and see what line has an illogical amount on it.

Or take the shortcut. Override the AMT to zero, delete schedule P, and file on paper if necessary. This time of year, sometimes you just gotta get 'er DONE. </Larry the Cable Guy voice>

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks. I was sure something was wrong, but it took awhile this morning to get the right entry to make the AMT go away.