No. of Recommendations: 2
I am a die hard bull. That doesn't mean I believe the market will go up in a straight line, but I do believe that over time it will go up. Neither the business cycle nor the long term trend of 11.5% compound growth is likely to be repealed any time soon.

All this said, however, I believe that actions during the Clinton era helped tame the swings of the business cycle. Bush Sr. may have lost the election in 1992 because he offended his right flank by raising taxes, but I believe that history shows it was the right thing to do, and Clinton did the right thing by staying that course. When the president or Congress steps on the gas by cutting taxes, it contributes to overheating the economy and eventually leads to the Fed raising interest rates to cool things off. Boom. Bust.

Now Son of Bush wants to heat things up by cutting taxes. Hang on, if I am right we are in for a wild ride, but in the long term, the trend will be 11.5% compound growth.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.