Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I've been thinking about buying options for the first time - nothing crazy and not a lot of money, but I'm mainly interested in the process. I have been a fairly conservative buy and hold investor for 10 years or so now and have done reasonably well. The MF has really helped me a lot in that time.

I understand the basic principle of buying put and call options - for a call option, you're purchasing the option, but not the obligation, to buy at a set price at or before a designated date in the future, hopefully for a price lower than what the stock is at that time. You pay the cost of the contract(s) up front, then at the expiration date of the contract either allow the contract to expire (and lose only the cost of the contract) or exercise the option and buy the stock at the designated price. You may then either continue to hold the stock or you can sell it immediately and pocket the difference between the contract price and the current price. Right?

My questions:

1. Is the benefit of simple call or put options as described above simply the ability to control a large block of stock with less money? Is that it? It would seem to me that if you were absolutely convinced a stock were going to rise, simply buying the stock outright would be cheaper. Plus, if you're right and the stock does rise and you want to exercise the option, you have to come up with that big block of money to buy the stock anyway. So why not just buy it up front and save the commission?

2. My online broker allows for the purchase of options but the terms are confusing. There are 4 options, once you determine the option chain for the ticker symbol and the expiration date of the contract: Buy to open, sell to open, buy to close and sell to close. Can someone explain these 4 options and how one would actually go about purchasing say 5 call contracts for stock ABC, expiring in January 2007, and then exercising option in January?

Thanks!

BC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.