Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Callisto,

let me start by stating that I own both NOK and QCOM shares, so I really want to see both companies flourish (and I think they will).

I'm having a hard time understanding what drives you and other QCOM-diehards portray the rest of the industry as some sort of villains that is ganging up against QCOM and, that's a new twist, illegally so.

With the billions of $$s market size we're talking about, do you think it would ever be as easy as QCOM setting the price and the rest just putting up with it and quietly paying the bill? Hell, people spend hours bargaining when they buy a used car and you expect Nokia to just shut up and pay. So far I'm not aware of any illegal activities, and it's anyone's right to challenge QCOM's patent claims in court - that's what courts are for in a legal system. Your suggestion they refuse to license anyone filing suit would require a fairly twisted understanding of law and justice - the word blackmail comes to mind. Commercial suicide is a close second - it reminds me of kids in the playground not of the way to professionally conduct a business.

And as a NOK shareholder, I want them to be damn sure they have to pay before they do. That QCOM won every single suit so far is good for them, but with the sums involved I think the industry was right to challenge their claims. There's nothing illegal or immoral about seeking legal certainty. If there's a 5% chance of winning the case and saving billions of $$ to the company, I would immediately sack any CEO who doesn't pursue that chance first before committing to the license.

My impression is that QCOM went for a head-on collision with the rest of the industry, putting all their faith in their seemingly invincible IPR portfolio. Good luck to them, but I feel there might have been a smarter way of achieving their goals - like being a bit more flexible in their approach rather than going for alienating everyone you ultimately want to do business with.

And remember, QCOM/Spinco needs something from the others, too. As is becoming more and more apparent, the overwhelming part of the world is going for W-CDMA (and personally I think QCOM contributed a great deal to that with their posturing), so Spinco will need to negotiate cross-licenses.

I'm not sure what exactly you want QCOM to sue NOK for (for not buying CDMA?), and I would ask who is the monopolist here? NOK is strong but by no means a monopolist.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.