Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Too bad our current candidates don't take some of his advice.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig5/galles1.html

# ...what the people cannot do their government cannot do.

# After order and liberty, economy is one of the highest essentials of a free government.

# I favor the policy of economy, not because I wish to save money, but because I wish to save people. The men and women of this country who toil are the ones who bear the cost of the Government. Every dollar that we carelessly waste means that their life will be so much the more meager. Every dollar that we prudently save means that their life will be so much the more abundant. Economy is idealism in its most practical form.

# The success of the Government does not lie in wringing all the revenue it can from the people, but in making their burden as light and fairly distributed as possible, consistent with the proper maintenance of the necessary public functions.

# Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration has been minding my own business.

# The people cannot look to legislation generally for success.

# There can be no perfect control of personal conduct by national legislation.

# [I will not] surrender to every emotional movement seeking remedies for economic conditions by legislation.

# You can display no greater wisdom than by resisting proposals for needless legislation. It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.

# We have got so many regulatory laws already that in general I feel that we would be just as well off if we didn't have any more.

# We do not need more law...

# If all the folks in the United States would do the few simple things they ought to do, most of our big problems would take care of themselves.

# We cannot improve the condition of the people or reform human nature by...despoiling the people of their business.

# When depression in business comes we begin to be very conservative in our financial affairs. We save our money and take no chances in its investment. Yet in our political actions we go in the opposite direction. We begin to support radical measures and cast our votes for those who advance the most reckless proposals. This is a curious and illogical reaction.

# The appropriation of public money always is perfectly lovely until some one is asked to pay the bill...the people will have to furnish more revenue by paying more taxes.

# I can lay down the broad principle that I am not in favor of imposing any new kinds of taxes.

# Whenever the state of the Treasury can permit, I believe in a reduction of taxes. But I am not advocating tax reduction merely for the benefit of the taxpayer; I am advocating it for the benefit of the country.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Perhaps we should add these to the FAQ?

-JAR
No. of Recommendations: 1
We have got so many regulatory laws already that in general I feel that we would be just as well off if we didn't have any more

Like all political leaders, statements of principles sometimes run afoul of reality. Most notably, his support and signing into law the Radio Act of 1927, which basically established the basis for broacasting regulation by the Federals.

One other observation: Coolidge's favor of an "easy money" fiscal policy contributed a great deal to the speculative excess of the late 1920's, which in that lovely Austrian Economics term, led to extensive malinvestments (primarily in the financial markets) that made the the following decade more of a tragedy.
He also wasn't against the notion of using government to ah, rationalize, certain industries (an intellectual legacy of the private "Trust" efforts a few decades back). In the debate about large scale efficiency versus the creative innovation of competitive capitalism, he tended to come down on the side of the former rather than the latter.
Finally, the precusor (and rather loud canary) of the Great Depression -- the economic collapse of the farming sector occured under his watch. Whether his hands off policy was wise is debatable, but the situation was a clear warning that business wasn't working as usual.

I suspect that if you look into his history and thoughts in more detail, you might find that Coolidge was more of a Yankee Tory than a Libertarian.

But all in all, one of our more interesting, and quietly capable Presidents in many respects.
Sigh Perhaps not surprisingly, we seem to get them more by accident then by design...