Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 23
Hey all, and welcome to another CameraNerd Update.

On Monday, CN had another CT scan to look for differences in the brain between the ones a week or so prior when he was admitted to the hospital. The Neurosurgeon did not see any significant improvement OR degradation in condition, and CN's ability to get up/move around/walk around without headaches had not improved.

NS gave us 3 options.
1) Status quo - keep watching/waiting. That got a BIG FAT NO from CN and I.
2) Install a shunt.
3) Do a craniotomy so they could look at the Weird Brain Tissue and also install an external port to drain the excess cranial fluid.

We elected option 3, for 2 reasons.
a) There would be a biopsy on the tissue removed during the craniotomy so we'd get a diagnosis on WTF is going on in there.
b) There is a decent chance that the fluid pressure problem is temporary, and we thought it would be good to see if we can handle this on a temporary basis rather than jumping straight into installing a permanent medical device.

Surgery was yesterday at around noon or so. He went to ICU after surgery, which was expected. He was on a ventilator last night, which was also a strong likelihood.

What was *not* expected is that they have not yet been able to take him off the ventilator. He has not been oxygenated his blood well enough to be removed from the vent. This morning, they did a brachoscope (or something like that) to look at this windpipe/lungs and to look at some fluid in the lungs that they saw on the CT. They are doing a culture on the fluid and treating him with broad spectrum antibiotics in the meantime.

ICU nurse and Pulmonologist say it is not terribly unusual to see this type of thing in the ICU after a surgery. CN had been in the hospital for about 11 days at the time of the surgery, and was not feeling too great for the couple of days before the surgery, so he may have picked up something low-grade in the last few days.

CN's sister is an ICU nurse at a different hospital. She went to the ICU today and grilled the nurse for a while, and then pronounced to us that she believes they are handling everything correctly and proactively and doing a good job for CN. Hopefully that all proves out.

I've been tired, but the one thing about having your hubby sedated is that it is OK if you don't spend 12 hours a day at the hospital. I went for a while today, and went back late this afternoon. I am planning to work from home tomorrow and go over there a couple of times to take a break from work.

On a completely differentnote, CN's family had another blow this week. A very close friend of the family died unexpectedly in his sleep on Monday night. This man was an MD, and we found out about his death when my MIL called his house on Tuesday morning to ask to speak to him about CN's situation. We are all a mess right now over this as well.

That is all.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.