Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 23
Greetings all, and welcome to another CameraNerd Update.

First, the totally coolio news of the day.

CameraNerd has been moved from the maximum security clink (aka the regular hospital) to the medium security clink (aka the physical rehab hospital). He was transferred today. Just putting on some pants and a shirt (with help) and getting into a wheelchair (with help) and going to a different location has helped his mood. YAY!

On the treatment front, lots of activity is going on.

I swear to you, I cannot think of anything more busy and exhausting than being the wife of a cancer patient during this period, except for actually being the patient.

At this point, we are trying to coordinate the following:

a) Getting him enough phys rehab that he can be mobile again. Being stuck to the bed has been AMAZINGLY difficult for him to deal with.

b) Coordinating procedures to remove his pacemaker temporarily so that they can do MRIs for staging radiation. This is an option that we'd never considered before about a week ago, but we've been discussing it. RadOnc and CardioSurgeon talked together at length yesterday about this. And I am pleased to report that I was actually able to speak to CardioSurgeon *directly* on the phone about this topic and get my questions answered.

c) Actual Radiation Stuff.

d) Chemo.

e) Sperm Banking - something that is fairly necessary to consider since his radiation will involve the whole spinal column.

This is all a crazy effort. But we have met sooooo many very very helpful people through all of this that it makes it a lot easier. So far, while he was in the hospital, I have been able to focus my efforts on asking questions and getting information instead of actually being the person to coordinate most of the logistics - others such as the hospital social worker, nurses from various groups, and so forth have been dealing with logistics for me.

We learned this week that medulloblastoma is kind of a one-shot deal. You have to get the treatment right the first time because if it comes back, it is next to impossible to get into remission a second time. This information has helped us frame some of our decisions - we have to be more aggressive than either CameraNerd or I normally are. Just knowing this helps make some courses of action easier.

Still lots of decisions and coordination to do at this point. My big thing right now is to understand exactly what the impact of delaying radiation for just a few extra days so he can get as strong as possible in rehab will be. I think that getting good rehab and being able to get around will be *immensely* important to CameraNerd's psyche as he goes through the rest of the treatment.

In other news....tomorrow or Friday I have to tell his new job what is going on. The docs still maintain that he likely could work during radiation and chemo, but by the time he gets through the pacemaker procedures (2 of them about a week apart) and such I'm not sure whether they will be OK with it. I guess we'll find out. I guess I get to LAMM for a while. :o(

d
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.