Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 18
Hey all,

Just wanted to post a CameraNerd/dianakalt update for youse guys. Some of this is in the earlier thread. If I am repeating myself, you can sue me. :o)

a) xraymd, I sent you a private response off one of your board posts from yesterday. If you haven't seen it yet, please check whatever email address is associated with your TMF account.

b) CN saw the neurosurgeon and his PCP again today. They think he had a small stroke at some point, though they haven't put a date on it. They said this explains the fluid around his brain, and I think it also is supposed to explain the low-density region they saw on the CT scan but I wasn't here to talk to the docs this AM so I'm not sure.

c) CN is also having yes ANOTHER CT scan today, this time they call it an Enhance CT and he will have intravenous contrast instead of lemonade flavored contast. They are doing this to find out more about the Ptooeytary Gland Thingie. The endocrinologist is going to wait to see him until after that scan comes back.

d) CN seems in a much better mood/spirits since he talked to the docs this AM. There is something about having somebody tell you a probable/actual diagnoses that helps.

e) I went to work today and told me VP what is up. They told me I can work some remotely, so I'm starting to do that this afternoon. I basically got my ducks in a row and met with people so that I could have my project in a form where I would have good work to do away from the office.

f) I have some very nice friends from my last job that have been emailing me and such. And two of them came and took me away for lunch yesterday so I didn't have to eat hospital crap.

g) Thanks to everyone who told me that we didn't eff up by not attacking these issues more quickly. Especially people with medical experience. This is a comfort to me.

So, now I want to learn about these silent/minor strokes that it looks like he had one of, and also am curious about recovery times and such for that and for Ptooeytary surgery if he has to have that.

d
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
recovery times and such for that and for Ptooeytary surgery if he has to have that.

Had a friend who had Addison's disease and had surgery for it. IIRC, recovery time wasn't too bad. Less than two weeks, I think. But some of that might have been vanity time.

MOI
Best wishes to CN for a quick and full recovery. It sure helps to feel you have a handle on things, doesn't it?
Greetings, dianakalt, check your email.

xraymd
So, now I want to learn about these silent/minor strokes that it looks like he had one of, and also am curious about recovery times and such for that

Diana, I responded earlier thinking that it was an old stroke. I'm a little confused now - are they saying now it is recent?

I'm not a physician; I was a nurse. Back in the day, I spent a lot of time working with stroke patients. Stroke (a.k.a. "CVA" or "cerebral vascular accident") is one of the big causes of medical admissions. Usually recovery depends on the cause of the stroke (a clot does different damage to a bleed) and the location. One third of stroke victims recover without any discernable residual damage. Sometimes, the damage can be quite "quirky", I have known an immigrant to lose all his English but to otherwise be unaffected (everytime he tried to speak English, it came out as Italian). Following a high speed crash, one British TV/motoring presenter reports liking a foodstuff he once hated; I think it is celery.

If it is a recent stroke, the doctors will look closely at his heart condition because that is a likely cause. It may be that he "threw a clot" and that his drugs may need tweeking/changing to prevent a repeat. (Did he have a hot, aching leg two months ago, when his symptoms started? He may have had a small DVT.) Or that his pacemaker needs adjusting, because an uneven heart beat can cause a small clot to form in the heart. If he is on blood thinners, then you are right to speculate that banging his head a couple of weeks ago could be a cause.

- Pam
Diana, I responded earlier thinking that it was an old stroke. I'm a little confused now - are they saying now it is recent?

They are thinking that the stroke was within the last 2-3 weeks or so. They said it's really hard to date it because they can't do an MRI due to the pacemaker.

News from this morning:

The thingie by the pituitary does not seem to be a pituitary adenoma/tumor - they believe it is just a meningioma that just needs to be monitored and they don't believe it has caused the issues he's having - they think is current problems are due to stroke.

He is not on blood thinners at this time - he was but got off them around 3 years or so ago. I suspect that may change for him. :o)

His pacemaker was just interrogated a week ago when he was in the cardiologists office, and had a full review that he gets every 6 months about 5 weeks ago. His PCP said he will likely need to go to the cardiologist again soon after he gets out of the hospital, so perhaps he will get the full check again sooner than the next scheduled one.

d
Oh, thanks so much for the update, diana. You and CameraNerd are both in my prayers.

--Booa