Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Just got back from the camping trip. The Wagner '9' worked well on the fire. Cooked all my dinners over the fire again this year. Used olive oil and some LoL's sauté express squares for flavor (I don't pack a lot of spices for camp cooking).

Dinners were mostly vegetarian since the breakfasts were egg and bacon heavy.

AC *sorry to be back at work*
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The Wagner '9' worked well on the fire.

Glad to hear it. I recently bought a #9 Wagner Ware "rocker" that I plan to use over camp fires - It's already wrapped and I bought it cheap, like, nearly, free with the vintage Lodge skillet that I bought with it that sits flat and is, also, well seasoned, so no loss if I should warp the rocker, a bit more, plus it came decently seasoned, so I don't have to mess with seasoning it.

(I don't pack a lot of spices for camp cooking).

I don't either - I usually just take S&P, Lemon Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, a head of garlic and a Vadalia and some green onions, and, maybe, a Navel orange and red apple.

I also like cooking on a camp stove, so I take that and 3-5 1-lb propane canisters, and a couple of propane lanterns. I also have a Coleman "tree" that mounts on top of a standard 30# lb tank, and will feed most of these appliances, for quite some time.

If I stay for a week, or so, I also like taking my Coleman 6-person tent, shower tent, with hot water bottle shower, and privy tent, with portable toilet...

probably more information than you wanted to know, but it is a pretty decent setup - If push should come to shove, I could retire and camp on, pretty meager, SS retirement benefits.

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 4
I don't either - I usually just take S&P, Lemon Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, a head of garlic and a Vadalia and some green onions, and, maybe, a Navel orange and red apple.

I take a salt and pepper grinder, head of garlic, some type of pepper powder, and dried basil. I pick up onions and fresh herbs when needed.

I also like cooking on a camp stove, so I take that and 3-5 1-lb propane canisters, and a couple of propane lanterns. I also have a Coleman "tree" that mounts on top of a standard 30# lb tank, and will feed most of these appliances, for quite some time.

The last couple years, part of my 'personal challenge' has been to keep a fire going (continually) and only cook on the fire. No stove. Luckily the campground fire rings (tractor rims) are just the right size for a Weber Kettle Grill insert. I've also experimented with cooking on slab rocks.

AC *doesn't expect the Zombie Apocalypse, but will be ready for societal collapse*
No. of Recommendations: 2
The last couple years, part of my 'personal challenge' has been to keep a fire going (continually) and only cook on the fire. No stove. Luckily the campground fire rings (tractor rims) are just the right size for a Weber Kettle Grill insert. I've also experimented with cooking on slab rocks.

I also have a rocket stove (works on kindling wood, and gets VERY hot.) This is the one that I have, but you can make one for $10-$15 that will work very effectively. It's like having a wood burning equivalent of an Asian restaurant Jet Burner when you're camping, and maybe want to stir-fry something, or boil water, for that matter, over intense high heat. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=rocket+stove&ei=UT...

Have you ever made bread over a campfire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQY40SBAVGA