No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not sure if this topic belongs here, but from what I could find, this folder seemed the most relevant. If another would be better, please let me know.

Here's the situation:

A disabled beneficiary of a trust, my father, has not collected enough Social Security credits to be eligible to receive Disability or Medicare.

Being disabled and personal issues have made it difficult for him to work.

He is currently receiving a weekly distribution.

Is it possible for the trust to "hire" him to perform duties such as maintaining the houses he inhabits (which are owned by the trust), and "pay" him (and any relevant taxes) rather than simply make a distribution, allowing him to collect the necessary Social Security credits?

If the trust is not able to do this, another thought was to set up a company which would hire him. I recall from an earlier Fool discussion that a parent could "hire" their child(ren) in a business, and pay them their allowance, providing tax incentives for the parent, teaching the children about work, etc., so long as the business made an attempt to be profitable.

The trust was established with an explicit purpose of providing him with means to live. Unfortunately, at the current rate of expenditures, the funds available may exhaust themselves prior to his death. It also provides for a secondary beneficiary, me, but I honestly am not concerned with receiving a single cent. However, the trustee (my mother, his ex-wife) would obviously like to see some funds left for me.

The family involvement complicates the management of the trust, as does my father's behavior. However, from a legal standpoint, does anyone have any thoughts on what I've proposed?

Thanks so much
Brett
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.