Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I thought this one would be about the book/film "The Shack", where God appears as a black women. I liked the book, haven't seen the movie.

https://mailchi.mp/92589a14fa4d/all-the-world-a-thin-place-7...

But no, apparently:

Before we scurry on to other metaphors for the Divine, it is important to recognize how our theological imaginations have been poisoned and impeded by anti-blackness. Because we associate the Divine with whiteness and “light”, it is difficult for us to embrace God in black skin, especially God in black female skin.

and...

God as a black woman violates our expectations. Due to our conditioning, we expect God to be white and male.

Really? Do you all think of God as a white guy?
Print the post Back To Top

Yep - pretty much what I was shown growing up and no other interpretation or representation was provided. Of course, god is a white male - also with a white beard and is somewhat elderly, probably in his 60s or 70s.

Pete
-----------------------------------
Yep - pretty much what I was shown growing up and no other interpretation or representation was provided. Of course, god is a white male - also with a white beard and is somewhat elderly, probably in his 60s or 70s.

----------------------------------
I don't think he needs the beard. George Burns proved that in the "Oh, God" movies.

"Miracles? I thought the '69 Mets were one of my best."

-Bill
No. of Recommendations: 1
Morgan Freeman played God in a movie, i think... he was more believable that a white guy smoking a cigar....

I have not seen a woman playing God in a movie... but there have been many playing goddesses....

I think of God Almighty as male... but I do not think there is any gender.
George Burns was awful as God but the movies were funny.
Morgan Freeman played God in a movie, i think... he was more believable that a white guy smoking a cigar....

Bruce Almighty was the movie. Morgan Freeman was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=8ZN9L0oD...

Parting a soup is not a miracle, Bruce. It's a magic trick. Now, a single mom who works two full-time jobs, and still finds the time to pick up her kid at soccer practice, that's a miracle. A teenager that says "no" to drugs and "yes" to an education, that's a miracle.

Be the miracle. Love it.
I have not seen a woman playing God in a movie

Alanis Morissette played God in "Dogma."
Alanis Morissette played God in "Dogma."

I haven't seen that one. Any good?

God is portrayed as female in the new Prime series Good Omens. We enjoyed it.
I haven't seen that one. Any good?

Yes, I think so. George Carlin plays a priest. It's very funny.
According to current Rep. Tlaib claims, she’s a person of color. Compare her DNA to that of a first century Jew, and you’d have to say that the Jew is also a person of color. That makes Jesus a person of color.

So I guess that God is a person of color.

Or something.
<<
So I guess that God is a person of color.
>>

Jesus states clearly that "God is spirit."