Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Can I add a wrinkle into this discussion? In all the discussions about the new SALT limitations to $10k, everyone keeps talking about the property taxes, but what I've not seem much discussion on, if I'm reading it correctly, is that I believe the limitation applies to all state and local taxes doesn't it? So it would apply to your state income taxes, and your deduction on your federal return for the state income taxes paid. For higher income taxpayers, that could be much more than the $10k limit, making the discussion of your property taxes meaningless. Am I reading that correctly?

Yes, SALT does include all state and local taxes. For those who pay more than $10k in state income taxes, the timing for paying property taxes would be meaningless, since the income tax is already over the SALT limits. As already mentioned, the SALT limits also make it likely that the timing of property tax payments for MFJ taxpayers would also be meaningless.

That said, timing property tax payments may still be a useful strategy for some, especially single/HOH taxpayers in states like Texas, which has relatively high property taxes and no income tax.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.