Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Can I claim the tuition I paid in 2014 for the 2015 semester as educational expense in my 2015 return to get the education credit?

No. Look at the instructions for Form 8917 (my bolding):

Generally, in order to claim the deduction for education expenses for a dependent, you must have paid the expenses in 2015 and must claim an exemption for the student as a dependent on your 2015 tax return (line 6c of Form 1040 or 1040A). For additional information, see chapter 6 of Pub. 970.


CAUTION You cannot use any amount you paid in 2014 or 2016 to figure the qualified education expenses you use to figure your 2015 tuition and fees deduction.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.