Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5
Can I deduct my remaining 2012 legal expenses as part of the "Selling Expenses" I incurred for this transaction?

Let me put my answer this way. I don't know if you can, but in your shoes, I would. The expenses just strike me as being incurred as an integral part of the sale.

Should the company have sent me any type of tax form (such as a 1099) reporting the sale?

Whether they should or not is their problem, not yours. If I were advising them, I'd advise them to file a 1099B.

But whether one is issued or not, your concern is reporting the sale on your return. The 1099 doesn't matter to you or change your tax obligation in any way.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.