Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, Guys!

I am in a hard situation. Last year, I just surrendered my variable life insurance account. Let us say, I have invested in this account for 6000 dollars, and after surrender charge, I cashed for 1000 dollars.

I definitely know that the 1000 dollars is tax-free becuase my premium was not tax-deductible. However, I wonder if I can report the loss of 5000 dollars as "Capital loss" and get a 3000 deduction this year. (Which is the limitation for capital loss deduction per year for couple)

Anyone has an idea about this?

Thank you very much!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.