Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry for my ignorance. I have been contributing to a 403b for 2 years with lousy returns (even with diligent annuity selection on my part). Is there anyway to transfer this money out of annuities and into mutual funds? Should I stop contributing to this program and start contributing to another through work? I also have a Roth. Sorry to be so basic--Katie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Katie, and welcome. You asked:

<<Sorry for my ignorance. I have been contributing to a 403b for 2 years with lousy returns (even with diligent annuity selection on my part). Is there anyway to transfer this money out of annuities and into mutual funds? Should I stop contributing to this program and start contributing to another through work? I also have a Roth. >>

If you're still working for the employer who offers that plan, then you won't be able to transfer that money to an IRA until you leave that job. However, unless your employer is making a contribution to the 430b on your behalf, you should be able to move your money out of the annuity into a mutual fund that accepts what's called 403b(7) accounts. Your benefits administrator can tell you for sure. Both Vanguard and Fidelity accept 403b(7) accounts. Moving the money to funds would give you a wider range of investment selections. Be aware, though, that the annuities you are now in may charge you a hefty fee when you surrender them. If that's the case, you may be better off leaving them intact and simply redirecting future contributions to the 403b(7) account.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post Back To Top