No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to address this, but I'm at the point where I need to ask if it makes any sense to continue my subscription to Pro. My wife and my portfolios combined only amount to less than a quarter of a million dollars at this point (we're both crowding 70 years) and my TD Ameritrade account only has a total of 7 equities and a small amount of bonds and no cash represented by the following:

Stock - % of Portfolio - Gain

Stock A - 6% - 62% gain

Stock B - 5% - 280% gain

Stock C - 13% - 205% gain

Stock D - 10%- 238% gain

Stock E - 9% - 121% gain

Stock F - 25% - 115% gain

Stock G - 14% - 135% gain

Zero Coupon Bonds - 13%

My wife's portfolio has eight equities, ranging from gains of a low of 8% to a high of 575% with approximately the same total value as mine and 11% in cash. All stock equities in both accounts are in multiples of 100.

Two problems that I can see are:

1) Does the potential returns on such a small portfolio justify the fee?

2) Specific to my account, does it make any sense to sell all or part of a block of 100 shares in order to obtain cash just to buy options?

I take full responsibility for neglecting these accounts the last couple of years and not doing any active investing. For several years, I enjoyed following the market but other interests have made it more of a chore now.

Some others' insights on the best strategy for the near future would be welcome at this point.

Doug
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.