Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello all,

I am trying to determine if I can take a deduction somehow on this and appreciate any input:

In August, I recorded a CD of some music and have been selling it on the internet. (Doing it all myself - no record company etc. involved). I have sold quite a few but am still about $2000 or so from breaking even and am wondering if I can deduct it somehow from my upcoming taxes.

Do I have to open up a business to be able to do this? If so, what tax forms/pubs would I need to look into as far as the write-off goes? Also, do you think it would be worth going to the trouble of setting up a business for the amount of this deduction (which, hopefully, will decrease as the year winds down)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.