Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Can she still take advantage of 2002's credit by making a contribution up through April 15, 2003?

Yes, the credit is for contributions made for 2002.

You can see the form and instructions at:

If she makes her contribution to a Roth IRA, can she withdraw her own money from that IRA in the future and not run afoul of the fact that she took the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit back on her 2002 taxes?

She'll lose the credit if she withdraws the money before April 15, 2003. If she withdraws it after that, she may lose the ability to get the credit for the following three years.

This is a great deal for those who qualify, and I'd definitely encourage her to take advantage of it.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.