Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Can somebody tell me if it's kosher to accelerate all 401(k) contributions into a compressed period and then quit? I think it is. I just want to make sure.

Yes you can do it. BUT - you may very well contribute/defer more than is allowed, and have part of it refunded back to you early in the following year.

If you can defer $16,000, you must be in the highly-compensated group.
The maximum percent of your pay that you can defer is based partly on what the non-highly-paid employees defer.

Without knowing your circumstances and history, and the plan's, I can't predict more than that. But it's a definite potential problem.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.