Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Can someone explain this?

MALIBU, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 4, 1999--JAKKS Pacific Inc. (NASDAQ:JAKK - news) reported that a previously announced three-for-two split of the company's common stock, in the form of a stock dividend of one-half share for every share held and payable to all shareholders of record as of Oct. 27, 1999, has become effective as of today.

I thought a 3/2 split meant that 2 shares at $15 each (total $30) now equals 3 shares at $10 each (still total $30). This seems to say that 2 shares at $15 each now equals 3 shares at $15 each (total $45). Is that so?

If not, what happens to shares I bought after 10/27 but before today?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Squaly,

You've got it right, and so does the article. Anyone who buys the stock before the close of business today will own tomorrow: 1.5 * current number of shares. The price of JAKK on 11/5 at open with be 2/3 * today's close. The record date is irrelevant to shareholders like you and me.

I applaud those who are selling due to ethical reasons. You have to do what you feel is right. I for one have no problem with this. I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid (in the 80's) and all of the stunts they pulled, I think I turned out ok. (At least I haven't hit anyone with a metal folding chair or have done a flying drop kick off my desk into a coworker)

For those staying put, JAKK shareholders have alot to look forward to in the next couple of months and years. We have the Flying Colors purchase that just happened, the THQI joint venture for the WWF video game that is supoosed to be spectacular (which is already number 2). And we have 1000 new toys coming out next year. We've gone from #19 to #5.

Sure is a good time to be a JAKK shareholder.

Chuck
Hi guys...
I'm just curious how much research you guys do before buying a stock. Al Snow has been around with head in the WWF forever. And yes, Head is a manequin's head and in no way shape or form represents that of a real woman. It's just meant to make you think he's that much more crazy... And he acts nuts most of the time. To be honest, head is probably one of the less "morally challenged" items in the WWF. Women have matches where they try to rip off each others dresses, people (the undertaker et al) perform satanic like rituals and human sacrifices (they're always thwarted in some way or another). The point is, Jakks doesn't make toys for the most moral of companies, and I'm surprised at the reaction Al Snow's doll has gotten. As for myself, I'm long on Jakk, based on their product line, stellar management, and the fact that I think, all in all, they are a good, solid company that would do little to make investors think ill of them. Later. Arr Matey
Like wise - I would like to know how many shares I own. I Bought 30 before 10/27 and 30 after 10/27. Looks like I did a very stupid thing. I appears my stock value just dropped from 40 to 26 dollars per share ( at least for the second 30 I bought).
No. of Recommendations: 0
Quick Question...
I bought 50 shares of JAKK on 11-1 at 40 per share. Do I now have 75 shares at 25 or 50 shares at 25? According to my FOOL portfolio, I magically lost a ton of money. Recording error on their part, or am I a real fool... Arr Matey
No. of Recommendations: 2
I had to manually adjust for the split in the Fool portfolio. I took the original total price of my shares and divided it by 1.5 times my original number of shares. This gave me the split adjusted share price. I then multiplied my original number of shares by 1.5. If you do this it should fix your port. Unfortunately, Jakks has chosen to dilute their shares by 2.7 million so you still had about a 10% drop in price today.

From what I've heard the last time they did an offering like this it was to raise money for an acquisition (Flying Colors) so it looks to me like they have plans to acquire someone else...and maybe soon..since they moved up the split effective date by a week???
FWIW, I used the "adjust for split" option in the "edit portfolio" selection and it resulted in the same figures.

Barbara

>>> I had to manually adjust for the split in the Fool portfolio. I took the original total price of my shares and divided it by 1.5 times my original number of shares. This gave me the split adjusted share price. I then multiplied my original number of shares by 1.5. If you do this it should fix your port.
The Fool porfolio is set up with an easier way to adjust for a split. 1) Click on "Edit portfolio". 2) Click on "Consolidated". 3) The rest should be easy to figure out since even I was able to do it. Jim.
Thanks - I hadn't clicked consolidated. I'm fixed now.
>>If not, what happens to shares I bought after 10/27 but before today?

In my humble ignorance, Squally, I fear that your song half-sung may be correct: it is, after all, a stock dividend and is payable only to those holding shares on the record date. I hope I'm wrong in the matter.

Worse yet, if this is true, you would have had an extra week to realize the problem had they not moved the date in.

Shack
No - all the shares split. It doesn't matter when

you bought them. The article was wrong
As long as you bought your shares BEFORE the split, you get the split. That thing about the date is confusing but trust me, I've been through this, as long as you have the shares before the split, you get the split. Jim.
Well, I'm happy to report that I DID get the split, even though I bought well after the "date of record".

Looks like all who said "as long as you buy before the split, you get the split" were correct. Thank goodness for that. Now if only the price would only come back up. What's up wih that?

Thanks to all who replied!