Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted this on the paying for college board. I am hoping someone can help. I called the IRS to ask if the funds that I have in my children's utma accounts can be used to purchase 529 college plans. The IRS assistant kept saying that I could not "rollover" the utma. I asked if I could redeem shares of the utma, pay all associated taxes and then purchase 529 plan. He was confused, I was confused and then he said, "I don't think you can do this". Any thoughts? A poster on the paying for college board stated that the 529 plan for Colorado had a specific place on the application form for using utma accounts for payment. Thanks! Should I just give up and seek legal advice?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.