No. of Recommendations: 0
Our trip next week was originally scheduled to give us a stopover of 1 hour 41 minutes at O'Hare. The flight times were changed to give us only 1 hour 9 minutes. Both flights are with UAL, arriving from PDX and departing for FRA. I don't know O'Hare and I assume we'll be changing terminals. Allowing 5-10 minutes to get off the plane and get oriented and them locking the doors ten minutes before takeoff, that leaves us around 49 minutes to get to the departure gate. Doable?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
For you ... very doable IMO. I've made the farthest terminals in under 30 at a fast walk. HP
I have not been there in a while, but United remodeled their terminal at Ohare abt 15 years ago. It is fancy, colorful and very nice. Most on one concourse, but part on an adjacent one as I recall.

I don't know the airports you mention, but if both are domestic flights, you can probably easily make your connections.

United Ohare's terminal is famous for its shortage of toilet facilities. So plan not to use them unless you have time to wait in line.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm sure you can make it but only an hour before an international flight wouldn't make me too comfortable, especially with United's on time record of late (of course that could also help you on the outbound).

If you miss the flight are there any other flights going to FRA?

Usually when they make changes to your flights you can call and reschedule w/o any penalties. I would see if there is an earlier flight just to provide more of a buffer.

Rich
Sorry, I didn't realize it was Frankfort Germany! I'd give myself two hours and still be concerned about arriving late.

HP
I didn't realize it was Frankfort Germany! I'd give myself two hours and still be concerned about arriving late.

Just to be clear, we are flying into O'Hare from Portland, OR. And then flying out to Frankfurt. Why would the fact that it's Frankfurt make such a big difference? Is the international terminal much further away?

--fleg
Just to be clear, we are flying into O'Hare from Portland, OR. And then flying out to Frankfurt. Why would the fact that it's Frankfurt make such a big difference? Is the international terminal much further away?

--fleg

I haven't flown international out of O'Hare, but I remember having to pick up bags and transfer them from the domestic flight to an international flight, plus go through another check-in. If not, my mistake.

Hockeypop
I didn't realize it was Frankfort Germany! I'd give myself two hours and still be concerned about arriving late.

Well, you put the fear of Hermes (god of travel) in me, so I did my favoritest thing in the world -- called UAL to check it out. After being disconnected once, I got through to a very nice agent who agreed with you that two hours is the minimal ideal connection time. So she got us on an earlier flight. Our original departure was scheduled for 11:21 a.m. and I was afraid we'd end up on a 6 a.m. flight but Hermes was smiling on me and we're leaving at 9:11 now. Wait -- 9:11? Good thing I'm not superstitious.

--fleg
Well here is what FlyerTalk says:

You can estimate the amount of time you'll need based on the circumstances of your trip, however. For domestic-to-international itineraries on the same airline, you won't need more time that you would need for a domestic-to-domestic connection, so an hour or so should be sufficient. (Example: Chicago-New York-Paris on American wouldn't require more time than Chicago-New York-Miami on American.)

But, if you reverse the former itinerary—Paris-New York-Chicago—you'll need much more time to make your connecting flight back to Chicago. When returning to the U.S., you'll have to clear immigration and customs, claim and re-check your bags, and go through security before you arrive at your next departure gate. For international connections like these, you'll want at least an hour and a half to two hours, if not more.
... but
As a rule of thumb, try to book a flight that has at least a 90-minute to two-hour connection time, if not more, and don't rely on your airline's reservations system to ensure you have enough time. When booking, consider whether you're connecting at a large or especially busy airport, and if you are, plan a longer connection. If you're traveling on several different airlines, leave yourself even more time. Personally, I'd rather grab a snack or read a book while I wait for my next flight instead of worrying that I'll miss my connection.

Sorry for my confusion, but glad everything worked out.

Hockeypop
The reason an international flight is a bigger concern is that there are less options reaching your destination than if it was a major city in the US if you miss a flight.

Chicago being as large as it is does have 4 non stops to FRA daily. If there is a cancellation of a flight (maybe due to mech issues) then the remaining flights can fill up quickly and getting rescheduled can be a real pain.

Of course with the more crowded planes even domestic flights can be tough if you miss a flight but at least those flights are shorter than Chicago to FRA.

Have fun. I always enjoyed my time in Germany.
Rich
Have fun. I always enjoyed my time in Germany.

Thanks, but our time in Germany will be spent entirely within the confines of FRA before we head on to Prague.

--fleg