Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Can you name one libertarian who defended Shrubster on anything?

How about the Libertarian Party of the US? I'm assuming that's a good enough source.

On SS reform, I see no daylight between Bush and Libertarian Party platform. Privatize a system that is supposedly "broke". Broke only because of the ridiculous Reagan/Bush tax cuts. There is this difference:

The federal government owns assets worth trillions of dollars - assets that it simply doesn't need to perform its Constitutional functions. By selling those assets over time, we can keep the promises that were made to today's retirees, and to those nearing retirement, while freeing the rest of America from a failed Social Security system.

http://www.lp.org/issues/social-security.html

So the Libertarians want to sell off the US to pay for SS/Medicare promises made already. The great advantage over raising taxes or borrowing to bridge the gap in funding in a move to privatization. Jack Kemp, for example, says about a trillion or more will have to be borrowed to bridge the funding gap.

Then again, why not hold Greenspan/Reagan/Congress 1983 to the promises they made when they asked everyone--including Libertarians--to pay their SS taxes up front--hence the huge SS/Medicare surpluses. And now GreenBush are trying to weasel out because Reagan/Bush blew every penny. Why aren't Libertarians screaming about the phony Reeagan/Bush/Greenspan promises--540 billion.

I notice you still didn't link any articles, like I do. I'll take that to mean you can't.

And get this! His plan, like every other one I've see guarantees a person they can't do any worse than SS/Medicare returns--although you could do better!!!. Beautiful. And them because you can't have every fool that loaded up on garbage.com in charge of the retirement money if the government (Big Daddy) is going to guarantee a minimum return--you get into government approved investments. You have to.

Is there a bigger recipe for huge government??, yet Libertarians are in favor--because they haven't thought out fully the consequenceses of their position. Sugar and spice and everything nice.

Thanks again for the replies. Something has to be done. But if Libertarians cling to really simplistic answers they aren't going to get very far.

PS--I may be unfair on this because I depended a great deal on a supposed "Libertarian" on the CE board and he did little but defend Bush. So I'm probably not representing the position of most "libertarians" fairly.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.