Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
From what I understand, 80% of all pot for sale in Canada comes from the black market. No licensing, no taxation requirements, full legal support pot coming from the Mexican/Columbian cartels, mom & pop growers. It's the cartels that are worrisome

As a comparative industry example, liquor sales, here in America, it's illegal for anyone involved in liquor sales to buy and sell moonshine. Moonshine is illegal in all 50 states. ALL liquor requires licenses and state tax numbers. Everyone gets a piece of the pie. Everyone likes pie, and these liquor laws in America will never diminish. I admit, for the few states in America that have legalized recreational use of marijuana... they too may be unregulated. Is there a government agency overseeing their purchases and resale to verify all marijuana sold has come from a legal source? Do we, in America also have unregulated supervision essentially allowing drug cartels to supply us?

The difference is, Canada's companies are on the stock market. Investing in them is dependent on them turning a profit. If 80% of the weed is coming from drug cartels, it's difficult for me to understand how "the legals" will compete. And I don't find a single article addressing the subject.

Look at it this way, drug cartels kill people everyday to stay on power. They kill people in gruesome ways. Do we all believe these cartels are going to sit by and watch the entire Canadian market dry up? What about America as it moves closer to legalization? I would think cartels will use every means possible retain what they have, and grow it even larger.

Will they disrupt legal growers? Essentially reducing their ability to remain a competitor? Will the burn down facilities? Kill CEO's families? Become legal themselves hiding behind offshore shell companies and hire CEO's named "Jim" and not "Juan"?

In Canada, it appears you can buy and sell weed in your storefront using black market weed without punishment. I haven't read a single article mentioning laws in effect, or coming down the pike anytime in the future. How can this be? How can Canada shoot itself in the heart over such a huge loophole in its regulations? Essentially killing off the start-up industries within their country, killing off the tax revenue stream, killing off worldwide opinion on how they are failing? How can Canada be this ignorant? One can only speculate, including the possibility the cartels have intimidated the government. I want to say "that's impossible", I really do. Yet, where are the regulations? How can 80% of the available weed be coming from the cartels (or more kindly calling them "the black market")?

Even the Motley Fool hasn't addressed the black market's size, it's invulnerablity, or it's ability to disrupt, or even extinguish legal Canadian entities try to compete.

Is anyone concerned? Is it just me? Are the drug cartels kinder, more benevolent, than I give them credit for? Maybe I see the glass half empty and getting lower while other investors, including TMF see it as half full and rising. Can someone address the black market, the Canadian laws and industry oversight?

Thank you. KingaKongo
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.