Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a Canadian, living in Canada, and new to investing. Several stocks I'm interested in, like Sierra Wireless, are listed on both US and Canadian exchanges. Is there any appreciable difference in the performance of a stock based on the exchange it's listed on? Does it make sense to buy a US stock from Canada in Canadian currency or should I just get the Canadian listed stock?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
I just came across your post and I've have the same question. A while ago, I bought POTASH Corp on the Cdn and US exchanges. There hasn't been much of a difference between the two so far as I can see. Sierra is on my watch list.

I have a few current ideas that I use to make these decisions about which exchange to buy on:
1) I strive to keep half my securities in US $ and half in Cdn $
2) I prefer to buy on the exchange where there are higher volumes (so it's easier to buy/sell)
3) If it's a stock that I may use for options (which I'm new to), I prefer the US exchanges since they seem to have more Options available.

If there are more experienced Canadian investors out there, please share your thoughts.

...Marc
No. of Recommendations: 2
1) I strive to keep half my securities in US $ and half in Cdn $
2) I prefer to buy on the exchange where there are higher volumes (so it's easier to buy/sell)

I can't comment on options but I would agree that points 1 and 2 above are big considerations.
Arbitrage movements by the financial houses though should mean that differences between the NY and TO listings are minimal to non-existent at buying time. Retail investors are unlikely to win at that game.
Personally I own more US stocks and European ADRs listed in NYSE than I do Canadian ones. I like the consumer facing companies and there is a lot more choice in NY.
Obviously finding the right stocks for you is the main thing wherever they are listed.
Personally I keep it simple and buy US stocks (or ADRs) in the US and Canadian stocks in Canada.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for you advice - it makes sense!

...Marc