Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
I looked up the Canadian immigration plan because I suspected it was being mischaracterized by the seamier political flaks. Turns out I was right. For 25% of immigrants there is a point system.

However Canada has a robust work visa system for the unskilled that creates a direct path to permanent status by completing high school,and picking up English or French. Also working in a skilled trade for a year counts.

The Canadians also have a family extension program and a large refugee program.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

The Canadians also have a family extension program and a large refugee program.

Actually it is called "family reunification" and the refugees are called "New Canadians" because they are the ones that are carefully screened in the refugee camps and fitted our needs perfectly. We are not all that altruistic. These people are so thankful when they and their families step off the airplane that they will work hard, raise wonderful kids and do anything to show appreciation at the opportunity. One guy at a BBQ put on by our provincial justice minister who made sure they were all welcomed came with his wife and four children (eldest ~13 who learned to speak English in the refugee camp) broke into tears when I thanked him for bringing his lovely family to Canada.

Ironically Syrian kids love bouncy castles just as much as Canadian and American kids do not to mention an unlimited supply of cheeseburgers and pop (we don't call it soda).

Of course the kids from away that come here for the universities then stay are more than welcome as well.

I think we are doing a pretty good job but if Faux news have a different story we are used to those guys right up until I get tired of the lies and put them on ignore.

http://www.unhcr.org/news/press/2017/4/58fe15464/canadas-201...

Canada’s 2016 record high level of resettlement praised by UNHCR
24 April 2017 |

OTTAWA, Canada – The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) praised Canada today for providing solutions to the plight of a record 46,700 refugees through their resettlement to Canada in 2016. This is the largest amount of refugees admitted in a year since the implementation of the 1976 Immigration Act and a significant contribution to UNHCR’s global appeal to increase much needed refugee solutions.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/after-syria-in...

After Syria initiative, UN looks to Canada as a refugee haven

Oh sorry I forgot, your leader doesn't like the UN and cut their budget, silly me.

Maybe these kids will qualify? Probably not as they are in a secure environment?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/thirteen-siblings-found...

OK, I think that is enough disgusted ranting for today ... same time tomorrow?

Back to the hockey game.

Tim
No. of Recommendations: 4
And yet, Canada is a whiter country than the US is. I am sure there are millions of poor minorities around the globe who would love to become Canadians, but for some reason are not accepted?
No. of Recommendations: 1
And yet, Canada is a whiter country than the US is. I am sure there are millions of poor minorities around the globe who would love to become Canadians, but for some reason are not accepted?

I don't think we are whiter. We are about 65% European ethnic background according to Nationmaster.com and the US is about 79%.

Icemann
No. of Recommendations: 0
No. of Recommendations: 2
And yet, Canada is a whiter country than the US is.

Probably because there were no vast numbers of Africans kidnapped and shipped there. Slavery was abolished across the British empire in 1833, but court decisions in Canada had rendered slavery unenforceable by 1800.

Steve
I don't think we are whiter. We are about 65% European ethnic background according to Nationmaster.com and the US is about 79%.

The data you linked to includes Hispanics with whites. For purposes of USian demagoguery, the 17% of the population that is Hispanic is not white.

At various times, Jews and Arabs have been considered white, or not white. For purposes of USian demagoguery, the 1% of the population that is Arab is currently not white.

The media has been getting the white mob whipped up with headlines like this, which use a narrow definition of "white".

Over 50% of Americans Will Be Nonwhite Within 30 Years

The data suggests that, by 2044, the majority of the population will be nonwhite, with that number rising to 56.4 percent by 2060. The Hispanic population will see the largest growth from now until 2060, the Census Bureau predicts, jumping from 17.4 percent to 28.6 percent. The percentage of white Americans will drop from 62.2 percent now to 43.6 percent within 45 years.

http://time.com/3730385/census-projections-diversity/

Steve
Well, this highly educated, financially independent white guy can't emigrate to Canada. This is the answer I got to their on line questionnaire.

We used your answers to see if you may qualify for any of Canada's primary immigration programs. Based on your answers, it appears that you are not eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time under a federal program.

Guess I'll just have to sit back and watch the buffoonery from a front row seat.

Steve
Well, this highly educated, financially independent white guy can't emigrate to Canada. This is the answer I got to their on line questionnaire.

We used your answers to see if you may qualify for any of Canada's primary immigration programs. Based on your answers, it appears that you are not eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time under a federal program.

They didn't say you couldn't emigrate to Canada, the just said the Canuck Feds would not be assisting you to do so? Now if you had shown up at the border 30 years ago with a wife and a couple of little ones in tow ...? }};-D

Tim <Would have thought people from Detroit would qualify as refugees from a war zone?***>

*** - that is intended as humour ... for those who have become inured to stupid comments that we seem to get a lot of lately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Hussen
They didn't say you couldn't emigrate to Canada, the just said the Canuck Feds would not be assisting you to do so?

I don't need any freaking "assistance". Canada is right across the river. I can be there in less than an hour. The questionnaire wanted me to invest at least $2M in Canadian business. I wouldn't have anything left to live on. The site makes it clear they are only looking for workers, particularly farmers and skilled trades, and people with lots and lots of money. I'm old, done working, and not rich enough.

Living in Windsor, I wouldn't even try to leach off the national health system as I could skip across the border for the once every few years that I bother with a Doc. 'course I go on Medicare in less than a year. If Canadian Docs took Medicare, I wouldn't have need to cross the bridge for that, but they don't.

Steve
If Canadian Docs took Medicare, I wouldn't have need to cross the bridge for that, but they don't.

I really have no idea how US Medicare works, we of course call our system Medicare as well. Can you pay the bills and claim it?

I've filled out paper claims for years for stuff covered by supplemental insurance when the provider doesn't bill SunLife directly. I've heard that effective 1 January 2018 we can now do it all on line but haven't had a need to try it yet.

Many Americans that live in Canada buy health insurance. I just have no reason to know anything about it. I read somewhere that if you live in Ontario more than 3 months you qualify for a health card, once again I'm uninformed of details.

Canada's universal health-care system. If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may apply for public health insurance. With it, you don't have to pay for most health-care services. ... All provinces and territories will provide free emergency medical services, even if you don't have a government health card ...Jul 11, 2017
I really have no idea how US Medicare works, we of course call our system Medicare as well. Can you pay the bills and claim it?

Nope.

In general, health care you get while traveling outside the U.S. isn't covered. The 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa are considered part of the U.S.

Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, ambulance services, or dialysis you get in a foreign country in these rare cases:

-You're in the U.S. when a medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.

-You're traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

-You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/travel-need-health-care-ou...

Many Americans that live in Canada buy health insurance. I just have no reason to know anything about it. I read somewhere that if you live in Ontario more than 3 months you qualify for a health card, once again I'm uninformed of details.

I'm at the wrong end of the actuarial table. Private health insurance would be expensive and become progressively more exorbitant the older I get. I paid in to Medicare for 40 years. Of course, if the "leaders and statesmen" in DC cut Medicare reimbursements so far, to pay for trickle down tax cuts, that it becomes impossible to find anyone who will take Medicare, than that 40 years of payments into the system become a write-off.

It seems that, living in Canada, paying Canadian taxes on my mid 5 figure income from SS and stock dividends, should qualify me for the national health plan.

Steve
It seems that, living in Canada, paying Canadian taxes on my mid 5 figure income from SS and stock dividends, should qualify me for the national health plan.

Steve

It might, but you would have to talk to someone who knows such things? I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but the IRS might have some say in who you pay your taxes to?

Healthcare depends on the province, while the feds set minimum standards and rules each province runs the show with some differences. According to RK there are ~ a million Americans living in Canada, double that if you include dual citizens.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but the IRS might have some say in who you pay your taxes to?

One thing I am sure of, USians moving to Canada have to cash in their conventional IRA and pay tax on the entire pile before they leave.

No way would I get roped into filing both USian and Canadian tax, so if I returned to the land of my forebears, it would be a one way trip.

On the health care thing:

You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you are included under one of the following categories :

you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or landed immigrant, or are registered as an Indian
under the Indian Act

you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and
Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for
permanent residence in Canada

AND

you make your primary place of residence in Ontario; and
generally

you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you
establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6
months of residence); and

you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-
month period.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/docs...

Tip: If you are new to Ontario, there is a three-month waiting period before OHIP will cover your medical costs. It is still a good idea to apply for an OHIP card as soon as you get here. To cover the waiting period, you could consider buying private health insurance.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/ministry/hc_system/

I figured out how the faction in DC that wants to turn Medicare into a voucher system will work it:

-pass another huge trickle down tax cut (done)

-cry a river about the resulting increase in the deficit and invoke "paygo rules" on other departments (done)

Senate Tax Bill Would Trigger Medicare Cuts

Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps and other social safety net programs are exempt from the PAYGO law, which went into effect in 2010. But Medicare and other programs — such as federal student loans, agricultural subsidies and the operations of the Customs and Border Patrol — are not exempt.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2017/sen...

Sticks in my mind, Congress gave Medicare a 1 year waiver from paygo, to get them past the election.

With paygo in effect (after the election) reimbursements would be cut and some service providers may start refusing Medicare patients. If paygo was rigidly enforced then total disbursements would be required to not exceed tax receipts. With a shrinking workforce paying in, and growing number of retirees, reimbursements would continue to shrink until Medicare becomes worthless because no-one would accept it. This engineered "crisis" would then, in "Shock Doctrine" form, lead to the voucher program that is the wet dream of a faction in Congress. For-profit insurers would set reimbursement rates where they are comfortably profitable for providers, add in their own overhead and profit, and send the bill to the retirees for the amount the continually shrinking Medicare voucher doesn't cover....and then even people on Medicare, after paying thousands per year in premiums, on top of the Medicare they paid into for 40 years, would be falling into the out-of-network trap and start receiving eye popping bills because someone in the chain that treated them was "out-of-network".

Heck of a plan.

Steve...then there would be the culture shock of being in a place that did not run on racism, religious fanaticism and corruption, where it isn't normal for people to be shot down in the street on a daily basis.
Steve...then there would be the culture shock of being in a place that did not run on racism, religious fanaticism and corruption, where it isn't normal for people to be shot down in the street on a daily basis.

Good points, might want to rethink this?

Spent most of the afternoon making my world famous beef stew modified for an instant pot in half the time and a large batch of J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits to go with it, yum. More snow due tomorrow though it often misses us and goes to NB and Newfoundland instead.

Wife wouldn't let me put some of my fav ingredients in it so I found it a bit watery and lacking heat but since she asked for it thought I'd better do it her way.

As to the tax thingy, BL has to pay US taxes some days (the ones where she is in US on business) and Canadian taxes on the other days when she is in the office in Vancouver. Her bank pays Ernst and Young to do it for her. They'll miss her when she moves to Houston in June.

Tim
Spent most of the afternoon making my world famous beef stew

Heck of a waste of time I'd say. I can move a box from freezer to microwave to mouth in 6 minutes.

Her bank pays Ernst and Young to do it for her.

I don't pay anyone to do my taxes. I do it with a pencil.

Good points, might want to rethink this?

Of course, the easy way would have been that g/f I had in 79. I can't imagine why a Canadian citizen would be going to college in Kalamazoo, but there she was. Didn't take long to figure out she was a nag, a drunk and none to bright, so got out of there as fast as my little feets could take me. I think I chose wisely.

Steve
Heck of a waste of time I'd say. I can move a box from freezer to microwave to mouth in 6 minutes.

Actually men that can do miracles with limited options in the kitchen or even in the back of an APC are chick magnets. }};-D

I've enjoyed cooking as long as I can remember and my dad taught me early that being independently able to feed yourself was important. I've seen enough examples of hopeless men throwing themselves at the mercy ... well had a chat with BL recently about her three boys, their other grandpa is in deep doo right now because grandma is in hospital and I made him up a large bunch of Vegan stew to keep him alive.

I'm not going to say anything to justify doing taxes with a pencil, the "what ifs" of software more than pay for them and to add insult CRA is many times more likely to audit hand written filings than electronic ones, they actually admit it.

Tim
I looked up the Canadian immigration plan because I suspected it was being mischaracterized by the seamier political flaks

Heck, for a minute there I thought your were talking about Tim the Radicqal Canuck.

--anon, of course

Should add that paying for UFile turned the process from three days of ranting, table covered in paper and family scattering and finding something to do elsewhere into less than a four hour process followed by filing on-line and getting the money back in about a week. I can also go back and look at old filings for several years on the CRA site.

Now our feds are experimenting, last year I used auto-fill my 'slips' directly into the form from my CRA account. I figure a few more years and they'll just do the thing for me. }};-D

https://www.ufile.ca/products/ufile-online

Only a masochist would use a pencil anymore? }};-D

You probably have to lick a stamp and envelop with dead horseflesh on them as well! }};-@

Tim <so much fun with Luddites in the morning>
Heck, for a minute there I thought your were talking about Tim the Radicqal Canuck.

--anon, of course

To misquote slightly, I am probably the least Radicqal Canuck in the history of the human race or even the galaxy?

Got an email this morning comparing Norway with a certain other country that shall remain nameless.

Tic mark for Norway beside:

Universal Health Care
Paid Vacation: 5 Weeks
Parental Leave: 1 Year
Tuition Free Universities
Pay Equality
Free Birth Control
Strict Gun Control

Other fellow didn't have any tick marks.

http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/properties/hagar/art_images/c...

Good luck to us all.

Tim
... I'm old, done working, and not rich enough.

Why would a country want to accept people that can potentially, and even likely, become a liability ("expense") over time?

Living in Windsor, I wouldn't even try to leach off the national health system as I could skip across the border for the once every few years that I bother with a Doc. 'course I go on Medicare in less than a year.

It's not always a matter of choice. When the person who cleans your apartment shows up one Wednesday morning, and sees you keeled over, they will call the local ambulance, who will bring you to a local hospital, who will treat you there. That's an added expense to Canada that they could have avoided. And will avoid.
Why would a country want to accept people that can potentially, and even likely, become a liability ("expense") over time?

Chatted with diplomat kid on the subject once. It would seem that both Canada and US tend to ignore expats from each of our countries if they own a home and pay their taxes. They don't even carefully enforce the (6 month US and 7 month Canuck) out of country rules.

While the feds chip in on the medicare costs, most of the money comes from the provinces who also collect the provincial share of the sales tax***. Clearly one does not want to become "Known to Police" as that would be a quick bums rush to the border.

*** - the feds get 5¢ on the dollar spent on most stuff except food bought in grocery stores (take out and restaurants not included) and children's clothes. The province tacks on anything from zero in Alberta to 10¢ in Nova Scotia. Low income get somewhat arbitrary rebates every quarter.

We recently reduced the wait time for citizenship to 3 years (from 5) and both our countries allow dual citizenship. Somewhat interestingly my corporate tax lawyer SIL when offered 'free' (paid for by his wife's employer) US citizenship he turned the offer down, this was before the FATCA rules showed up but he feels he won that round. Shall see how it goes this time as they are off to Houston (where there are hundreds of traffic accidents today due to snow) in June.

Some of the benefits Canucks receive (such as OAS and I think GIS if you qualify) are only available to people who were citizens for at least 10 years before turning 65. This is clearly targeted at people who bring grandma and grandpa over to take care of the kids and collect the largess. I seem to recall the fairly large Indian community were trying to get the time requirement reduced significantly but didn't happen.

Tim

OT - The Rats are innocent.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/black-death-was-caused-...

Black Death was caused by humans not rats, says study
...three days of ranting, table covered in paper and family scattering and finding something to do elsewhere...

Working out my taxes never generates ranting, and there is no family to find a different place to be.

I tried one of those tax programs once, iirc the one from H&R Block. Utterly useless. I can't remember how many different things it missed.

I made the mistake of participating in the company 401k, for a couple years, while I had an IRA. Because of the income limits on the IRA deduction when participating in a 401k, a couple thousand of the money in the IRA was not deductible from my tax when put in during the late 90s. I figured no problem, the first couple thousand to be distributed from the IRA would be that couple thousand that no tax would be due on and that would be that. Wrong. I have to file an extra form and the amount of each year's tax free distribution is limited to the percentage of the distribution equal to the percentage the distribution was of total IRA assets. It's going to take forever to get that 2 grand back tax free.

I made the mistake of putting a couple MLPs in my cash account. When I discovered the pile of extra forms that generated, I sold the MLPs and rebought them in my IRA. The sale caused another mountain of forms, but that was the end of it.

I also made the mistake of owning too many foreign stocks, which generated more forms to calculate how much of the foreign tax withheld from the divis I can get credit for on my US tax, with the rest of the tax withheld carried forward to the next year. Sold the TD earlier last year, so, maybe, I can get rid of that form this year.

Once I get these self-induced complications eliminated, I can probably whip off my taxes in one afternoon.

Working out my taxes is a learning experience, as in "ah! that's how that works", which generates insights like "I don't need to take anything out of my IRA now, but if I don't take anything out before 70 1/2, then the mandatory withdrawals will be larger, which might push me into a higher tax bracket." A few years ago, I took $10K out of the IRA, plus collected Social Security, plus five figures in dividend income, and had zero tax for the year, because I learned how to manage the income to minimize tax by doing the taxes by hand.

You probably have to lick a stamp

The USPO uses a different type of glue now. No licking required.

<so much fun with Luddites in the morning>

Steve...Luddite who minimizes his tax liability, and learns about the tax code, by using a pencil, in the middle of the winter when there isn't anything else to do anyway.
I made the mistake of participating in the company 401k, for a couple years, while I had an IRA. Because of the income limits on the IRA deduction when participating in a 401k, a couple thousand of the money in the IRA was not deductible from my tax when put in during the late 90s. I figured no problem, the first couple thousand to be distributed from the IRA would be that couple thousand that no tax would be due on and that would be that. Wrong. I have to file an extra form and the amount of each year's tax free distribution is limited to the percentage of the distribution equal to the percentage the distribution was of total IRA assets. It's going to take forever to get that 2 grand back tax free.

I made the mistake of putting a couple MLPs in my cash account. When I discovered the pile of extra forms that generated, I sold the MLPs and rebought them in my IRA. The sale caused another mountain of forms, but that was the end of it.

I also made the mistake of owning too many foreign stocks, which generated more forms to calculate how much of the foreign tax withheld from the divis I can get credit for on my US tax, with the rest of the tax withheld carried forward to the next year. Sold the TD earlier last year, so, maybe, I can get rid of that form this year.

You do realize that most of that is Greek to me right? Nor do I have any reason or interest to learn it.

The UFile program started out more than adequate but has gotten better each year. It now finds stuff and makes suggestions that I would have missed. Unfortunately 2017 is the first year wife will have collected OAS for the whole year so I am going to take a hit on my deductions.

I have a long history of doing my own taxes, must in order to understand them but see nothing wrong with assistance from a really good software program that tells me exactly why I should do certain things but allows me to disagree with it (I seldom do).

Tim
You do realize that most of that is Greek to me right? Nor do I have any reason or interest to learn it.

Canadian taxes probably don't have exactly the same traps, tricks and pitfalls as US taxes. These are examples of things that the Block tax package didn't even ask about or could not handle, which made it worthless. The Block software was thrown in the trash and I did my taxes by pencil that year too.

Accounting has always come easy to me (no calculus). Probably should have been an accountant all these years, but it was boring.

Steve