Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all ! I'm looking for info on Canadian retirement benefits (if there is such an animal)...I'm nearing retirement, a natural American citizen who was married to a Canadian from 1956 to 1974 (divorce finalized)...he has been living in Canada since 1960...I'm wondering if I am entitled to any retirement benefits...does anyone have any info on this subject, or perhaps steer me in the right direction to find out !?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi lulubphs55

The Canada Pension Plan was started in about 1966. It is a small gov't subsidized plan that kicks in at age 60 (reduced amount)or age 65( full amount). You may be entitled to 1/2 of the benefits that were earned by your ex while you were married unless there is some provision in your divorce settlement that overrides it.

You also may be entitled to any benefits if you resided in Canada during your marriage and worked and paid into the plan yourself.

For more information you might check at the following website.
http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/isp/cpp/credit_e.shtml

Hondaholic
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you for your reply and information ! I went to the site you recommend and it looks as though I don't qualify. Am I misunderstanding the info? I did utilize the "contact"capability at the website...I received an acknowledgement of my request for info, "they" said I should receive a response to my inquiry soon...thanks again for your help !