No. of Recommendations: 1
CANSLIM is indeed a good way to make money in stocks. There are a number of approaches that work as well.

A low-energy way is to subscribe to TimingCube and use their system to trade the averages, long and short. Their results trading IWM, SPY, and QQQQ are excellent, and you only trade 2-4 times per year.

For individual stocks, I have been using, among other things, INVESTools. www.investools.com - expensive, but I have never seen so much good information on a stock on only one page, with links to more stuff. You can probably get all that stuff free from various sites, but it would take you a long time to put it all together, and by then the trading day might be over.

I gave a presentation on using FastBreak to trade individual stocks in a mechanical way.

http://www.actwin.com/kalostrader/Presentation/start.htm

Avoid the mechanical investing stuff on the Fool Boards. They have arbitrary buy and hold periods, and this is no way to trade stocks. You need to let the stock tell you when to buy and when to sell - not the calendar.

I wrote about a hedging strategy on the mutual fund board. Do not buy and hold any mutual fund, but you can buy and hold some funds while using others to hedge.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22954117

Also do not fall for the random walk nonsense, or the efficient market hypothesis. That stuff is fatally flawed - and it is stuff that only academics who have no idea about the market would write in the first place. You might read Mandelbrot's book, "The Misbehavior of the Markets" to see some mathematics that actually makes sense. However this book will not help you make money in the market, nor does it pretend to do so.

And don't let anybody tell you that you cannot time the market or beat the S&P. That is just nonsense.

At any rate, you need a discipline for your trading. Study a while and find what suits you best. Accept the discipline and let it work for you.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.